Select & Mix Private Holiday - choose three experiences
8 Days ex Amman
Jordan is a welcoming and fascinating land. From the Dead Sea to the ancient Rose Red City of Petra, Jordan leaves a lasting impression on all those who visit. This eight day Select and Mix itinerary allows plenty of time to explore Jordan in a relaxed pace, with time and options to customise your experience.
- Pass through the Siq and marvel as the Rose Red City of Petra emerges in front of your eyes
- Experience the strange sensation of a float in the Dead Sea
- Follow in the footsteps of Lawrence of Arabia as you traverse the Wadi Rum moonscape in a jeep
Day 1: Amman
Welcome to Jordan. Jordan is a unique country with a wealth of cultural and scenic attractions to offer the visitor. Jordanians are gracious and welcoming hosts, and will often surprise you with their command of English. Please remember that religious beliefs, traditional customs and daily manners may sometimes seem quite strange at first. Please be patient if you think things are a happening at a different pace than you are used to!
On arrival into Amman Airport, you will be met after customs and immigration by a local operator and transferred to your hotel.
Day 2: Amman (B)
Day at leisure to explore at your own or chose one of our Select & Mix experiences.
Day 3: Amman – Madaba – Mt Nebo – Kerak – Petra (B)
This morning depart Amman and travel south to Petra on one of the oldest highways on earth, the Kings Highway. This fascinating journey into history will include highlights of Madaba where you can view the oldest known map of the "Holy Land' inlaid in mosaics, Mt Nebo where Moses looked out over the 'Promised Land' and Kerak Crusader Castle before arriving into Petra.
Petra, nestled in the mountains south of the Dead Sea, is perhaps the most spectacular ancient city remaining in the modern world. The city was the capital of the Nabateans who dominated the lands of Jordan during pre-Roman times. They carved this wonderland of temples, tombs and elaborate buildings out of solid rock. For centuries, Petra fell into the mists of legend, its existence a guarded secret known only to the local Bedouins and Arab tradesmen. In 1812, a young Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt heard locals speaking of a "lost city" hidden in the mountains of Wadi Mousa. Burckhardt disguised himself as a pilgrim and discovered the secret of Petra, revealing it to the modern world. In order to best savour the atmosphere of this ancient wonder, visit in the quiet of the morning or late afternoon when the sandstone rock glows red with quiet grandeur.
Day 4: Petra (B)
This morning explore the famous Nabatean rock-cut tombs and temples of Petra. Entry is via a narrow ‘siq’, reaching hundreds of feet high. Your first sight is of El Khazneh - the Treasury, carved ornately in the red rock. Other sights include the 3,000 seat theatre (1st C. AD) and a Palace Tomb in the Roman style (this tour includes a private local guide for 2-3 hours).
Remainder of day at leisure to further explore Petra at your own pace.
Day 5: Petra (B)
Day at leisure to further explore Petra at your own pace or choose one of our Select & Mix experiences.
Day 6: Petra - Wadi Rum – Aqaba (B)
Today travel to Wadi Rum where Lawrence of Arabia rode across the desert with his Arab liberation army. Take a jeep ride through this impressive moon-like landscape, with its dramatic canyons and dunes. (Duration of jeep trip: 2 hours approx).
Continue to Aqaba and check in at your hotel by the Red Sea for the night.
Day 7: Aqaba – Dead Sea (B)
Today drive to the Dead Sea.
The Dead Sea is 75 kilometres long and from 6 to 16 kilometres wide. It is fed by the Jordan River, but it has no outlet. As its name suggests, the Dead Sea is entirely devoid of plant and animal life. This is due to an extremely high content of salt and other minerals—350 grams of salt per kilogram of water, as compared to about 40 grams in the world’s oceans. This concentration is caused by a rapid rate of evaporation. These natural elements give the waters of the Dead Sea certain curative properties, recognized since the days of Herod the Great over 2000 years ago.
Day 8: Dead Sea - Amman – Departure (B)
Today you will be transferred to Amman Airport for your onward flight.
Select & Mix Experiences: Choose Three Options:
- Dinner at the famous Hashem Restaurant (evening, day 1 or day 2)
- Dinner with local family (evening, day 1 or day 2)
- Your choice of private day tour to Jerash & Ajloun; Bethany & the Dead Sea or Amman (day 2)
- Take a cooking class followed by dinner at Beit Sitti Restaurant (evening, day 1 or day 2)
- Experience a short but fun Treasure hunt through Amman’s bustling souks (great for families) (day 2)
- Visit 3 Art Galleries in Amman – Daret Fonoun, Dar Anda & The National Art Gallery (day 2)
- A beautiful hike in the Al Ayoun Valley (includes lunch with a local family) (day 2)
- Visit the King Hussain Royal Automobile Museum (Day 2)
- Explore Little Petra (day 5)
- Take a second visit of Petra (day 5)
- Admire the beauty of Petra by night (Mon, Wed & Thu only) (evening, day 4 or day 5)
- Savour local cuisine - join an evening cooking class at Petra Kitchen (evening, day 4 or day 5)
- Swim or snorkel around coral reefs on the Red Sea shore. (day 7)
- Visit Bethany “The Baptism Site” on the Jordan River (day 7)
- Accommodation in hotels as specified (or similar)
- Daily breakfast and one dinner
- Transfer and transportation in private air conditioned car with English speaking driver as per itinerary
- Local private English-speaking guide in Petra
- Entrance fees
- Travel Notes – issued by Innovative Travel
- Short horse ride inside Petra
- Entrance fees as mentioned in the program
- 3 Select & Mix Experiences
- International airfares
- Optional tours and excursions
- Port Taxes and fuel surcharges
- Tipping/Gratuities (please refer to tour