From the Buddhist monasteries of Ladakh, the Tibetan culture of Dharamsala and the Sikh’s Golden Temple of Amritsar, embark on a fantastic journey of contemplation and revelation where beauty is synonymous with spirituality. Your adventure starts in Ladakh, on the Tibetan Plateau. Known for its grandiose desert mountain scenery, turquoise lakes, remote valleys connected by breathtaking mountain passes and Buddhist monasteries perched on soaring hilltops, it is the highest, least populated and most inaccessible region in all India. Then, depart on an epic and memorable drive to the lowland town of Manali on one of the world’s most spectacular roads, crossing four Himalayan mountain passes (including the 5400m Taglang La). Continue to Dharamsala, home of the Dalai Lama and Tibetan government in exile and complete your discovery of India’s western Himalayas with a visit to the Sikh’s Golden Temple in Amritsar before returning to Delhi by train. A truly epic journey that will take your breath away, literally.
Highlights of your tour:
- The monasteries of Ladakh, hanging between sky and earth
- One of the world most spectacular drives across the second highest pass on the planet
- Dharamsala, the Little-Lhasa
- The stunning Golden Temple of Amritsar
Private Touring programme
Minimum 2 pax required
Meals and sightseeing as per itinerary
Flight Delhi - Leh and train Armistar - delhi included
Day 1: Delhi
Meet, greet, assist and transfer you to hotel.
Day 2: Delhi (B)
Full day tour to visit Old and New Delhi. See Jama Masjid, Red Fort, Humayun’s Tomb, Qutab Minar, and the Secretariat Buildings.
Day 3: Delhi – Leh (B D)
Morning transfer to Delhi airport for a scenic flight over the Himalayas to Leh. Arrival transfer to your hotel with the rest of the day free to acclimatise to the high altitude of Ladakh. Evening walk to the local bazaar.
Day 4: Leh - Indus Valley - Leh (120 Km) (B L D)
Today explore the superb Indus Valley with its famous Gompas (monasteries) perched on soaring hilltops. Visit the Thiksey Monastery, famous for its intricate paintings and spectacular location, then drive to Shey, the former royal capital. Continue to Hemis Monastery, the most famous in Ladhak, home to 1000 monks and to the famous 2 day Hemis Festival. Return to Leh for dinner and overnight.
Day 5: Leh – Alchi (75 Km) (B L D)
Spectacular drive to Archi. En route, visit Magnetic Hill, see the confluence of the Zanskar and Indus Rivers, Basgo & Likir Monasteries. Later visit the 1000 year old Alchi Monastery located on the banks of the Indus River. Overnight in Alchi.
Day 6: Alchi - Lamayuru - Leh (180 Km) (B L D)
Early morning drive to Lamayuru Monastery, known for its surrounding ‘lunar’ landscape. This may be the most spectacular of all the Himalayan Gompas. Then drive back to Leh for overnight.
Day 7: Leh - Sarchu (250 Km) (B L D)
Today depart on one of the world’s most spectacular drives across the beautiful
Himalayan desert and high plateaux and through four mountains passes, including the Taglang La Pass at 5,350 m. Arrive in Sarchu and spend the night in a permanent camp located in a stunning valley. This is a day to remember!
Day 8: Sarchu - Manali (256 Km) (B D)
Drive through Baralachala Pass (4,883 m) to enter the State of Himachal Pradesh on your way to Manali. En route, see Surajtal Lake and stop at the villages of Darcha and Rumtse. Continue to Manali, in the Himalayan foothills. Surrounded by beautiful fir and pine forests Manali is a pleasant tourist and market town. Overnight.
Day 9: Manali (B D)
A relaxing day to explore Manali and its sights: Hadimba Temple, Manu Temple, the Mountaineering Institute and the Tibetan refugee market. (B,D)
Day 10: Manali - Dharamsala (220 Km) (B D)
Leave Manali and drive to Dharamshala visiting Triloknath Temple en route. Arrive in Dharamsala in the evening. Also known as the Little-Lhasa, Dharamsala has been the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile and home to His Holiness the Dalai Lama since 1960.
Day 11: Dharamsala (B D)
Full day sightseeing tour of Dharamsala. Visit the Norbulinka Institute which promotes the Tibetan arts, then McLeodganj - the residence of the Dalai Lama - with its impressive monastery and the Kangra Art Museum.
Day 12: Dharamshala - Amritsar (200 Km) (B D)
Today drive to another sacred place: Amritsar, in the state of Punjab, spiritual capital of the Sikhs. See the flag ceremony at the Wagah border and visit the stunning Golden Temple.
Day 13: Amritsar – Delhi (B)
Morning transfer to the railway station to join your train to Delhi. On arrival, transfer to the airport for your onward flight.
This itinerary is subject to changes without prior notice, depending upon flight changes, delays or cancellations, weather and road conditions, availability of rooms or any other unanticipated events.
Hotel selection may be subject to change – please use this as a guide only.
- Private transportation with English speaking driver
- Accommodation in Tourist or First Class hotels (or best available) and one night in a simple camp in Sarchu
- Domestic flight Delhi / Leh and A/C train Amritsar / Delhi
- Sightseeing with English speaking guide
- All transfers
- All entrance fees
- Most meals as per itinerary
- Welcome drink on arrival and traditional welcome ceremony upon arrival at Leh hotel
- Porterage at hotel and airport
- Any international fare, visa and insurance fee
- Any Joy ride or rafting
- Medical expenses (apart from first aid)
- Tips, laundry, liquors, wines, mineral water, telephone charges, camera fee and items of personal nature
- Transportation is not on disposal basis. It is strictly as per the programme, any extra running will be charges extra
- All the arrangements for the tour are pre-planned and prepaid. In case of not completion of the tour due to any reason whatsoever there will not be any refund for any unutilized services. Any extra expense due to the same has to be paid extra
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like flight delay / cancellation / hike in fare, strike or any other natural calamities or any emergency evacuation expenses
- Any other item not mentioned in the cost includes section
Trip prices and dates are correct at the time of the website going live, however all offers are subject to reconfirmation at the time of booking. Note prices usually display available discounted rates if any, (eg. Early Bird Deals if applicable). All featured tour itineraries and offers maybe subject to change due to seasonal variations without notice, or due to local conditions or other conditions. Please confirm all details at time of booking. Travel insurance is mandatory for all Innovative Travel bookings. All passports must be valid for 6 months prior to your return to your home country. Visas are the responsibility of the traveller. Special VIP meet and assist offers are valid for New Zealand passport holders, for other nationalities please check at the time of booking. For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Booking Conditions page.